JORVIK: Disabled toilet; lift; puschair store; toilets
DIG: Disabled toilet; lift; pushchair store; toilets
Barley Hall: Lunch facilities in the great hall for schools booking a full-day visit (please pre-book); for half-day visits, schools can use the DIG lunch room (subject to availability); toilets
Due to the historic nature of the buildings at Barley Hall, the Richard III Experience and the Henry VII Experience, these venues are not fully accessible. The ground floor only at Barley Hall can be accessed by wheelchair users. The Richard III Experience and the Henry VII Experience are inaccessible to wheelchair users, and are reached via steep and narrow staircases.
Code of conduct
Please ensure your pupils respect other visitors, museum objects and attraction staff.
Staff reserve the right to ask visitors to leave if their behaviour disrupts the experience of others in the attraction.
Your tick list of things to remember:
Things to remember:
- Book a free familiarisation visit to your chosen venue.
- Ask about our workshop programme.
- Before ringing the Reservations line, make sure you have the date and time of your visit ready to check for availability, preferably with a range of possible alternatives if your desired date is not available.
- Although we will always do our best to accommodate your group’s requirements, we are grateful for at least four weeks’ notice when booking workshops, outreach or virtual outreah.
- Once you have booked, check you have received your confirmation letter from us and that all of the booking details are correct. You will need to sign and return your confirmation letter to us at DIG, St Saviourgate, York YO1 8NN, or via email to email@example.com.
- Check you have an adequate number of adults accompanying your class. York Archaeological Trust recommends a 1:6 teacher pupil ratio. Please note: we require a 1:5 teacher pupil ratio on our ‘Medieval Day’ (see 13 below for more details).
- If you do not cancel a booking with at least 24 hours’ notice, you will be charged 50% of the visit total.
- School parties should allow one hour for a visit to JORVIK, the Richard III Experience and the Henry VII Experience, and 90 minutes for a visit to DIG. Barley Hall visit times vary according to your booking. We request that groups arrive on time; owing to high demand, latecomers may be asked to join the queue or put into another time slot. Please be aware that this may result in you having a shorter visit length than the standard visit.
- DIG has space for up to 35 people to eat a packed lunch, free of charge. Visitors to DIG can also eat lunch in the garden. School parties booking a ‘Fit for a King’ or our ‘Medieval Day’ all eat lunch at Barley Hall. Please note that pre-booking is essential. To book a half-hour lunch slot (between 11.00 and 14.00), please request a time when booking your visit to JORVIK, DIG, the Richard III Experience, the Henry VII Experience, and Barley Hall.
- We advise a maximum of 20 children per group when booking the ‘Anglo-Saxon and Viking Costume’ workshop; a maximum of 24 children per group when booking the ‘Traders, Looters and Settlers’ workshop; a maximum of 32 children per group when booking the ‘Fit For a King’ and ‘Tudor School’ workshops; a maximum of 25 children per group when booking a visit to the Richard III Experience and the Henry VII Experience. Please note: there are further restrictions on numbers for our ‘Medieval Day’ (see 13 below for more details).
- When booking workshops, a minimum group size of fifteen children applies. For information on booking workshops for smaller groups, please contact our Reservations team.
- If booking a virtual outreach session, we recommend that you check with your IT support team to find out if your local authority blocks the use of Skype. If you are able to proceed, we will need to know your Skype ID at the point of booking. When making your booking, you will also need to book a test session (normally late afternoon at least two weeks prior to the date of your virtual outreach session) and provide a mobile contact number.
- If booking a ‘Medieval Day’, please be aware of the following restrictions: a) we require a 1:5 teacher pupil ratio on the ‘Medieval Day’; b) the ‘Medieval Day’ is suitable for children in Year 4 and upwards only; c) the maximum capacity for a ‘Medieval Day’ is 20 children; d) the ‘Medieval Day’ will last a minimum of 4 hours and 30 minutes, and terminates at either the Richard III Experience or the Henry VII Experience; e) the ‘Medieval Day’ involves a walk across the city, including several road crossings; f) part of the ‘Medieval Day’ takes place outdoors.
- Loan boxes must be signed and paid for in person upon collection. Please note: we do not accept collection or return by courier. Return of the loan box after the agreed date will incur a penalty charge of £10 every week. If the box has still not been returned after 6 weeks, the JORVIK Group will seek further compensation to cover the full cost of the loan box, as the box will be deemed ‘lost’. If a longer loan period is required, you must extend the loan by contacting our Reservations team. You may be liable for additional costs if the late return of the box disrupts a later booking. You are responsible for the contents of the box whilst it is in your care. Should any of the items within the box go missing or be damaged then you may be liable to cover the costs of their replacement or repair.
- Due to the historic nature of the buildings at Barley Hall, the Richard III Experience and the Henry VII Experience, these venues are not fully accessible. The ground floor only at Barley Hall can be accessed by wheelchair users. The Richard III Experience and the Henry VII Experience are inaccessible to wheelchair users, and are reached via steep and narrow staircases: they are also without toilet facilities. Most areas at JORVIK are accessible via wheelchair, but as part of the attraction is below ground, pre-booking is essential to avoid disappointment.
Not sure which workshops to choose? Let us help! Call 01904 615505 and speak to a member of our Reservations team who will be happy to advise you.